High Voltage = High Headroom = High Fidelity
From America's premier high-end studio gear manufacturer, the Manley FORCE bursts into 2015 with four channels of vacuum tube microphone preamplifiers extracted from the hugely popular and award winning Manley CORE®, housed in an exquisitely gorgeous chassis, meticulously hand-crafted, purposefully and efficiently California built for $2500 MSRP. That's right. FOUR channels of real High Voltage vacuum tube mic preamps for $2500!
A FORCE of Nature
Your relationship with the FORCE begins with the ergonomic facia through its thoughtfully organized controls, silky and bulletproof rotary potentiometers, positive latching feature switches, and convenient Direct Input 1/4" jacks. Seven-way LED metering for each channel provides instant visible feedback for audio levels which are enhanced with a double-inlay CNC-milled accent. A feast for the eyes, yeah, we know. This is investment grade audio equipment that you will be as proud to showcase in your studio as we are to handcraft it here in Southern California.
A Sonic Tour de FORCE.
Your microphone signals enter through gold-plated XLR connectors straight into our MANLEY IRON® Mic input transformer. Your line level or instrument level guitars and keyboards come in via the front panel 1/4" Hi-Z 10 megOhm jacks before hitting the input level control which also acts as a Variable Input Pad. Phase Reverse and 120Hz High Pass filters can be invoked here in the circuit and then we're into the 12AX7 dual triode amplifying stage operating in pure Class A, of course. The amount of GAIN for each channel can be selected as 40dB or 50dB via the front panel switches. An additional 10dB of gain is available via internal jumpers. The output stage "can drive a truck" as we like to brag.
A Powerful FORCE
The power supply is an innovative design developed specifically for Manley Labs, specifically for High Voltage vacuum tubes, and specifically for audio by the world expert team in this technology led by Bruno Putzeys. Proven reliable and sonically superior in the Manley CORE, this power supply provides 300 Volt DC rails to run the vacuum tubes, beefy 6 Volt lines to power them up, along with several other voltage rails for the phantom power and various solid-state control voltages. High Voltage = High Headroom, folks. You will not get near this sonic performance with in any 500-series design. Trust us. This is Full FORCE audio excellence which starts with this superior power supply. All lines are importantly regulated, low impedance, efficient, and super-quiet in this low radiating high frequency design. The universal mains input accepts any voltage or frequency from anywhere in the world making travel with the FORCE a breeze.
A FORCE to be Reckoned With.
How did we deliver all this for just $2500? By prioritizing what really matters: that strong Manley sound, the proven componentry and rugged overbuilt construction, presented in an inspiring package. But engineered to build efficiently and by really paying attention to how it all goes together, proudly built by Manley’s American workFORCE. A Compelling FORCE for you. This is our Driving FORCE. Let us share it with you.
Each Channel Features:
- 48V Phantom power switch
- 120Hz High Pass Filter switch
- Phase Invert switch
- Input Attenuator (Variable Pad)
- GAIN Selectable Gain LOW vs HIGH
- Silent Input Level Control (Variable Input Pad)
- 7-Segment LED Peak Metering
- 1/4" DIRECT INPUT
Similar to the DI in the Manley SLAM!®, and exactly the same as found in the Manley CORE®, this all-discrete solid-state circuit with 10 Meg Ohm input impedance is perfect for guitars, bass, keyboards, etc.
Deluxe CNC-machined 1/4" thick faceplate with inlaid laser-engraved inserts adorn the rigid 2U steel chassis – all locally sourced in Southern California.
Features and Specifications
- Vacuum Tubes: 4 x 12AX7WA dual triodes
- Balanced Transformer Coupled XLR Microphone Input Impedance: 1250 Ohms
- Unbalanced 1/4" Direct Input Impedance: 10 Meg Ohm
- Maximum Input Mic input (Low Gain Setting): -5 dBu or 435mV RMS @ 0.5% THD
- Maximum Input Mic input (High Gain Setting): -25 dBu or 44mV RMS @ 0.5% THD
- Maximum Input Direct input (Low Gain Setting): +24 dBu or 12V RMS @ 0.5% THD
- Maximum Input Direct input (High Gain Setting): +17 dBu or 5.5V RMS @ 0.5% THD
- Maximum Output (1kHz Sine, into 100 kOhm load, 0.1% THD+N: +35 dBu
- Maximum Output (1kHz Sine, into 100 kOhm load, 0.1% THD+N: 43V RMS
- Maximum Output (1kHz Sine, into 600 Ohms load, 0.1% THD+N): +22 dBm
- Hi-current WFDRIVE Balanced Output Impedance: 50 Ohms
- Output Headroom (referenced to +4 dBu): 31 dB
- Dynamic Range: 118 dB @ LOW GAIN, 100 dB @ HI GAIN
- THD & Noise (1Khz @ +4dBu BW 22Hz-22KHz): 0.004% at Low Gain setting
- THD & Noise (1Khz @ +4dBu BW 22Hz-22KHz): 0.04% at Hi Gain setting
- Noise Floor Micpre (A WGT): - 85dB @ LOW GAIN, -66dB @ HI GAIN
- Signal to Noise Ratio (Ref. to +4dBu): 87dB @ LOW GAIN, 68dB @ HI GAIN
- EIN (22-22kHz BW, A WGT): -129dB with 150 Ohm source impedance @ LO GAIN
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz -0.1dB, +0.3 dB
- Gain via Microphone Input: 40 LOW or 50dB HI GAIN (60dB available via internal jumper)
- Gain via Line Input: 20 or 30dB (40dB available via internal jumper)
- Low Signal Green LED (Output Level): -22 dBu
- High Signal Red LED (Output Level): +24 dBu
- AUTOMUTE warmup delay: 30 seconds
- Power consumption: 36 Watts
- Operating mains voltage: 90 to 254 VAC (internal universal supply)
- Mains Voltage Frequency: 50~60Hz
- Dimensions: 19" x 3 1/2" x 7" (occupies 2u)
- Unit weight: 8.6 lbs.
- Shipping weight: 11.8 lbs.
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price
Tips 'n' Tricks!
Think of the INPUT LEVEL control more like a Variable Input Pad. Always start with the FORCE in LOW GAIN setting with the Input Level control all the way up. If the signal level is too high, roll back the INPUT control to pad down the input. If you don't have enough gain with the Input Level control all the way up, then go to the HIGH GAIN setting.
What you don't want to do is have the unit in HIGH GAIN with the input pad barely cracked open. That will bring the worst signal to noise ratio condition.
Try not to throw away your level on the INPUT control. Work with it as far up as you can, as a general rule.
CORE® is a registered trademark of Manley Laboratories, Inc.
SLAM!® is a registered trademark of Manley Laboratories, Inc.