The Manley 440 Watt Monoblockwas the predecessor to the Manley 500W. It was built from 1994 to 1996. Features and specs are pretty similar to the current 500W model. This amplifier was also built into a black powder coated steel chassis and that model was called the Studio 440.
Both the circuit design and the selected componentry were refined over years and years of development. Reliability that you can depend upon combined with musical accuracy and emotional authority is what these amplifiers promise- and deliver. They are able to switch operation modes allowing the listener to choose between the sonically seductive qualities of triode and the more powerful tetrode configuration. We use big, beefy reservoir capacitors in the high voltage supplies giving plenty of instant energy for dynamic performance of transient peaks and bass impact and weight which often exceeds that of rival solid-state amplifiers. We run high voltages on the plates of the output tubes but operate them at lower current which will result in their longer life.
To avoid a heavy power drain when the cold amplifier is first switched on, we conceived a "Soft-Start" mode which also functions as an "Ever-Warm" position allowing the amplifiers to be always warmed up for pleasurable listening. Although each output tube has its own bias-adjust. we carefully fit each amplifier with computer-batched tubes for optimum performance. The FEEDBACK control featured on the 440 watt model changes overall feedback which affects the gain and slew rate of the amplifier while the SLOPE control changes the super-sonic roll-off point allowing the user to optimize the amplifier-speaker interface. For more information about the variable feedback feature of this amp, read Notes on Negative Feedback.
The 440 used the Mercury Magnetics MAGIC output transformer until Manley Labs set up its own in-house transformer winding facility.
In our own in-house magnetics department, our R&D team completely redesigned all of our output transformers in 1998 with the goal to reclaim that luscious rich mid-range of our vintage designs. We also specifically set out to achieve a deeper bottom register at higher power with lower distortion. Hours and hours of listening tests, measurements, and fine-tuning brought an exciting and stunning result to our ears. We hope you will agree. Welcome to the New Manley Reference highest powered amplifiers!
Get the owner's manual for the Manley 440 Watt Monoblock.
Features and Specifications
Manley 440 Watt Monoblock:
- Vacuum tubes:
- Output 10 x KT90 or 6550C output tubes
- Driver 2 x 6414
- Input l x 12AT7WA
- Input sensitivity: 1V
- Input Impedance RCA: 116 kOhm @ 1KHz
- Input Impedance XLR: 270 kOhm @ 1KHz; 20 kOhms @ 20KHz; 38 kOhm @ 20Hz
- Output load impedance: 5 Ohms
- Output Power (tetrode): 500W
- Output Power (triode): 275W
- Flat Freq. Response: 10 Hz - 30 KHz continuous
- S/N ratio: -80 dB
- Dynamic Range: 96 dB
- Power consumption: 30 Watts "Ever-Warm"
- Variable feedback
- Supersonic SLOPE control
- Balanced & Unbalanced inputs
- Triode / Tetrode switching
- Soft Start / Ever-Warm standby mode
- Manley Precision dual-coil output transformer
- Front panel bias measurement and adjust
- Large filter / reservoir capacitors
- Milled aluminum cabinetry provides rigid mounting
- Factory set for 100V, 120V or 220-240VAC operation for original destination country's mains voltage.
- Operating Mains Voltage changeable with power transformer re-wiring and fuse value change.
- Mains Voltage Frequency:
- Dimensions: W=19", D=13", H=9"
- Shipping weight: 82 lbs. each
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price
- Manley 440 Watt Monoblock Original Retail Price: $12,000 clams (USD $) per pair
Underside view of 440
Detail of feedback and
A pair of original 440's at the factory.